900,000 BKs

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

tinydot

ex-BK

900,000 BKs

Post21 Jul 2007

I would like to start a web project and I need some help. If someone can do it better than I could, then that would be fine. You can set-up the web project and I would help in whatever way I can. I can do the programming, html, database, etc. but it would be slow and my computer programming is a bit rusty. I guess somebody can do it better than me. I can provide the domain name and server and maintain the necessary fees.

The project is for documenting the 900,000 souls in the world.

Possible domain names:
    bkmembers.info
    bktree.info
    etc.
I need input from everyone.

Primary Database sorting structure:
    By Last Name, i.e. the web index.html has the A, B, C, D, E...etc to choose from.
    then can be further subdivided if for instance, there are so many "P's". "Pa" for "Patel", "Pe", "Pr" just like sorting words in the encyclopedia index.
So, basically, I want to create a database which gives the following information:
    1. Name (LastName and FirstName)
    2. Connection (BK, former BK, friends, cooperative soul, etc)
    3. Status (BK, PBK, Vishnu Party member, etc.)
    4. Position (student, niwasis, SS, Dadi, Didi)
    5. Country (UK, USA, India, etc.)
    6. Center (London, NY, Mumbai, etc.)
We can have more parameters as we go and define the database.

The database can have a functionality of addition and deletion of members (with moderators approval) - pull down menu, and search engine to search names.

OK, that's just for start, let me know if you can help me.

Let the world knows those 900,000 shining stars ...

john

reforming BK

Re: 900,000 BKs

Post21 Jul 2007

tinydot wrote:Let the world knows those 900,000 shining stars ...

If there are 10's of million potential deities who take The Knowledge, how will you know which ones are amongst the 900,000?

tinydot

ex-BK

Post21 Jul 2007

john wrote:If there are 10's of million potential deities who take The Knowledge, how will you know which ones are amongst the 900,000?

John,

The last statment I made was a joke! :-)

i was just interested in database per se to furnish information to the world of who belong to BK org or in some way had or have connection with BK. Not really interested in 900,000 'because I don't believe in it.

I imagine the database will be expanding starting from having information of real BKs (teachers in the centers and student who attends on regular basis).

If you are familiar with alumni.net or classmate.com, it's pretty much like that. We can start populating the database with Dadis, SS, Madhuban niwasis (alive and deceased), center-in-charge down to the lowest in the rank and file. Then we can input also names of all ex-BKs including PBKs.

This would provide information to the newbies and we can derive some statistical information on the database like number of "drop-out student" like me, % deceased BKs, etc. If BKWSU have a record of their members, why cannot we?

tinydot

ex-BK

Post21 Jul 2007

Frankly speaking, i want to know all members of the BK clan.

arjun

PBK

Post21 Jul 2007

tinydot wrote:Frankly speaking, I want to know all members of the BK clan

Your idea is noble, but how many would come forward to give their personal information? And without anyone giving his/her address, it would be difficult to maintain the authenticity of the data. Moreover, a large chunk of the BKs/PBKs is not computer savvy. So, how will their data be included?

Can individuals give the data of others also? For example there may be many who know the basic information that you have asked about the BK Sisters living in various centers and the surrendered BKs living at Mount Abu. If someone gives information about others, what will be the legal liabilities?

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

tinydot

ex-BK

Post21 Jul 2007

arjun wrote:Your idea is noble, but how many would come forward to give their personal information? And without anyone giving his/her address, it would be difficult to maintain the authenticity of the data. Moreover, a large chunk of the BKs/PBKs is not computer savvy. So, how will their data be included?

The reliability of the database will increase in time as we gather more data. As more anoymous people contribute in filling-in names of BKs.
arjun wrote:Can individuals give the data of others also? For example there may be many who know the basic information that you have asked about the BK Sisters living in various centers and the surrendered BKs living at Mount Abu.

Oh yes, they can fill-in as much as they can. Program will check for duplicates.
arjun wrote:If someone gives information about others, what will be the legal liabilities?

As long as it is basic information, I don't think there's liability. If they can hand out flyers with names of BK speakers or teachers, sure we can put their name on the database. It is public information anyways.

If we put all names of Madhuban niwasis in the database, this is public information, just like putting in the names of all employees in a university.

Legal issues: Well, they will have to prove that it is their name being referred to :-). How many Kumar or Patel in India???

ex-l

ex-BK

Post21 Jul 2007

Would wiki software like used for the Encyclopedia do the job?

Students could then give the BK teachers their ratings!

tinydot

ex-BK

Post21 Jul 2007

ex-l wrote:Would wiki software like used for the Encyclopedia do the job?

Students could then give the BK teachers their ratings!

I think it can be done, but it needs to be customized. Fields and parameters need to be set-up.

I would like to show the world and the coming new generation the validity (or absurdity) of this 900,000 concept. In ten years, they would be able to browse the database and see some information like this:
    Name: Janki Kirpalani
    Connection: BK
    Last Position Held: Dadi
    Center based in: Oxford

<same would be true for Prakashmani and other Dadis>
The database would give a sense of falsehood (or truth) to the concept of 900,000. New students would be able to judge for themselves and give them a sense of hope (or helplessness) on the concept of destruction as promulgated by BK philosophy.

How many BKs still believe that 900,000 needs to be reached for destruction to take place? Watch until they see that 900,000 concept crumbles and BK exponential growth drops.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post21 Jul 2007

Yes, it would be interesting to list all the big names that had left too. The BKs will freak, which is as good a reason to do it as any, but they need to be de-bunked. On one hand they write letters to lawyers saying that they have "no members", on the other hand they are claiming on the Wikipedia that they are now nearing 1,000,000 - and "have benefited millions".

The BKs probably have to count ex-BKs and dead BKs as being in the big numbers ... but should not the list it, ostensibly, run to 300 Million heavenly souls!?! I wonder what number they give ex-BK Virendra Dev Dixit! Liz Hodgkinson's book has a good history of the recent past expansion into the West.

Why cannot we expect just clear hearted, simple honesty and straightforwardness from these people ... an accurate census numbering pukka 7 day a week BKs and then their lay followers?

This also raises another question that we might discuss elsewhere, of what exactly is a "BK" these days?

Your problem is the majority of centers are in India ... You will need the cooperation of the BKWSU to do it. But start and make them have to follow. If a wiki is no good, then there is probably some genealogical webware to do the job.

You might want to try making a timeline, e.g it went from 0 in 1932, to about 500 in 1936 to less than 300 in 1938 dropped to 200 odd after 1950 remained pretty stable for a decade or more ... etc.

Return to Commonroom