Sevak Ram, Piu Vanis and the history of Om Mandli

for discussing revisions in the history of the Brahma Kumaris and updating information about the organisation

john

reforming BK

clay

PBK

Post16 Jun 2006

Om Shanti
Bansy bhen wrote:This is something still not clear. You're indicating that if the top BKs know of the Advanced Knowledge and thus cannot become the 8/108 jewels, then what is their purpose ? Do they fear God (Dharamraj) or not ?

This is the Confluence Age, the time when the shooting or rehearsal takes place for the Broad Drama of 5000 years. So, each religion has to gather it's own followers. Each religion will naturally have a charasmatic Guru to play a leading role. These will be powerful and influential souls.

Members have written on this site and particularly on the xbkchat site about anger guilt and suffering that has been experienced by themselvers and many BKs and ex BKs. I have witnessed much of this myself by stories that have been related to me. So it does not take much imagination to work out which religion gives rise to these feelings. I write as someone who has experienced BK teaching in the West.

However there is nothing wrong, the religions have to be created and so the religious Gurus will just be playing their part. The irony is that the followers are gathered together thinking they are learning the spirituality of the path of knowledge, Raj Yoga, whereas the truth is that in fact devotional paths are being taught by way of ritual and of course love and remembrance of the departed religious founder.

Hence to follow the Murli and not someone's interpretation or class on Murli starts to make sense. Murli tells us do not keep pictures of Brahma or you wil get confused. But who listens to that important direction?

What is perhaps of greater significance, who disregards that direction?

Good Wishes

Clay

ex-l

ex-BK

Gita Mata and Sevak Ram - BK Murli revision

Post31 Aug 2006

This are some honest questions to BKs. Please read these Murli points and check them with your centre-in-charge to confirm for yourself that they are true. This is your God speaking. Have you heard these points before?

Why have Gita Mata, Sevak Ram been written out of the BKWSU history and under whose instructions? Why are these references being removed from the revised Murlis? If this is really God and we are not playing a game with our lives, do you not want to know what is going on here?

Murlis: 15 June 1969, 28 May 1969, 2 June 1975, 28 May 1974
    At the beginning of the Yagna there were two female children who used to even direct Mama and Baba, used to be teacher and used to play superb part. They left their mortal coils.
Murli: 23 July 1969
    The (male) person who was with him for 10 years, she (the female) used to go in trance, used to drill Baba (Dada Lekhraj) also. Entering into them Father (ShivBaba) used to give direction. How much status did they have! Today they were no more. (Because) at that time there was not so much of knowledge.
Murli: 23 July 1969
    He was associated there for 10 years. (She) often used go into the trance. They even tutored Mama and Baba. Father (Supreme Soul) entering them used to give directions. So high was their status. Today they are no more. At that time so much of knowledge was not there”.
Murli: 15 October 1969
    "Should ShivBaba enter the body of a pure virgin? But there is no such rule. After all Father, how can He mount a virgin?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was like you once. I was intoxicated and wanted to believe in all this stuff. I am not a PBK and I am not uncritical of them. I am still asking for honest answers from the BKWSU.

john

reforming BK

Piu Vani

Post16 Feb 2007

There has been snippets of talk on the forum of Piu Vani.
    The lost Murlis?
    The early part of the BK history written out?
Can anyone give any more substantial idea/knowledge of Piu, Piu Vani and the relevance within the Yagya?

If BKs are trying to hide this information, then why?

arjun

PBK

Post17 Feb 2007

Dear John Bhai,

Omshanti. I tried to surf through the book on Brahma Baba's life story to find out about the Piu Vanis, but did not succeed in getting any leads.

But I remember hearing from Dadis during their experience-sharing classes that the Murlis that were narrated and noted during the pre-partition days of India were put into a trunk and buried in the ground of some building during the Hindu-Muslim riots that took place in the partition days before the BKs shifted from Karachi to India.

If any BK has access to Dadis, they can confirm the above facts.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

ex-l

ex-BK

Post17 Feb 2007

arjun wrote:But I remember hearing from Dadis during their experience-sharing classes that the Murlis that were narrated and noted during the pre-partition days of India were put into a trunk and buried in the ground of some building during the Hindu-Muslim riots that took place in the partition days before the BKs shifted from Karachi to India.

I can imagine that John will not be able to reply to you as he is already packing his "Raider of the Lost Ark" bags, and a shovel, and is on his way to the airport as we write!!! ;-)

arjun

PBK

Post17 Feb 2007

Some old-timer BKs believe that those Murlis that were buried in the ground would become the basis for the creation of Hindu scriptures in the Copper Age.

But would that trunk survive the final destruction (earthquakes, atomic wars, etc.)?

john

reforming BK

Post17 Feb 2007

I have found a snippet of information in the book 'God's Plan' by Harold StreitFeld, who was one of the BKs who came out of America from 1978. In the book he writes about Dadi Brij Indra - Brahma's Daughter in Law, who was married to Brahma's eldest son.
arjun wrote:During the Karachi era of the Yagya, she naturally lived in Brahma's bungalow. God's Knowledge was being emphasized at the time. She played an important role of chronicling his Murlis and passing them on to others.

So Murlis from this early period (14 year Karachi days) were written down.
    Were these the Piu Vani?
    Is Brij Indra still alive?
In another section of the book it says Shiva used to speak knowledge through another Sister, it was claimed the reason being to show BKs who were getting confused between Brahma and Shiva, that they were seperate beings.
ex-l wrote:I can imagine that John will not be able to reply to you as he is already packing his "Raider of the Lost Ark" bags, and a shovel, and is on his way to the airport as we write!!! ;-)

Anyone up for it :D

ex-l

ex-BK

Sevak Ram and historical details of the original Om Mandli

Post27 Mar 2007

I placed this in the PBK forum but it ought be of interest to all because it underlines again where there has been distortion of the history of the Yagya. Which way or when exactly I require some assisting divining out.

As understand, it is believed that Virendra Dev Dixit Baba to the PBKs is the reincarnation of one Sevak Ram who was said to be Lekhraj Kirpalani's business partner. Although if my memory serves me well, he was never named in the Jagdish Chander's, BKWSU-produced, somewhat fictional book called Adi Dev. I have never heard the Seniors talk of this individual (and heard only whispered rumours about the PBKs).

In one of Andrey's posts, I read him discuss with surya that "Ram becomes Ravan". Although I can see what the simple allegorical mean (deity become a devil), I wonder if what I am about to propose is another piece of the puzzle. As you know, thanks to guiding spirit, I have been given the opportunity to read through some of Om Radhe's writing, early publications from Karachi period and court proceedings and I came over this, the only references I can see that match.
Om Radhe wrote:in support of their remarks as regards the antecedents of Dada Lekhraj and his life at Calcutta, the committee understand that the Tribunal have mainly relied on the statement of one Bhai Tolaram Gurnomal. The man selected for this purpose at first was Bhai Shewakram a sleeping partner of Dada Lekhraj and his affidavit was attached to the the petition under section 16 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act made by Mukhi Mangharam and others.

But this Bhai Shewakram still owes a substantial amount to Dada Lekhraj as per release Deed and so Bhai Tolaram Gurnomal was produced before the Tribunial in his place. But the Tribunal obviously did not know that Tolaram is an impecunious man, a declared insolvent against whom there were warrants and attachments at Calcutta and a man of no reputation and character. As shown above no other than Bhai Hoasomal Thakurdas has admitted that he heard nothing against Dada Lekhraj at Calcutta. Is it clear therefore that the Tribunal has jumped to hastly conclusions in their perfunctory inquiry in little or no material without using any discrimination.

Now this is very interesting, let us examine it in reference to the "official story". Like the Queen of English has a real birthday and an "Official" birthday, so does the Yagya. One is fake, I will need help deducing which one.

As far as I remember, the official story is that ... God Shiva incarnated into Lekhraj Kirpalani in 1936 ... the red light bulbs shone out of Lekhraj Kirpalani eyes ... "Shivoham-Shivoham" ... Lekhraj Kirpalani went to his working partner and said, "just wind the business up 50:50 because I have found God ..." etc. But here, in 1939, is Lekhraj Kirpalani's sleeping partner being barred from legal proceedings because of his debt to Lekhraj Kirpalani, still owing "a substantial amount" according to the release deed.

Now, earlier in the same book, Om Radhe actually write that Lekhraj Kirpalani retired from the business in 1932, not 1936 and started satsangs at his house which in 3 years grew to number as many as 500 people. Remember, no mention of Shiva and up until at least 1949, Lekhraj Kirpalani is called Om Baba and then Prajapita God Brahma, the Gita Inventor. The general gist is that Om Mandali was formalized later sometime between in 1934/35, if it was formalized.

Where Narain Shewakram comes back into the picture is that he addresses letters to the Om Mandli from the Om Mandli Bhaibund Committee ... as the secretary of that organization. That is on behalf of the Om Mandli Bhaibund Committee, known by the BKs only as the Anti-Party, just as the PBKs are known as the Shankar Party. It was not its name.
    Does this mean that Narain Shewakram which, by co-incidence as partner and by pronunciation, has to be the same as the one mentioned by the PBKs as "Sevak Ram"? So when "Ram became Ravan", is it something to do with his role in the Bhaibund's Committee?
For those unaware of Lekhraj Kirpalani's Sindi roots, he was a member of the Bhaibund caste, a wealthy, influential, materialistic and Westernized merchant class that had its own culture, tradition and system of social control and justice (or lack thereof) including marriage. All the original members of the Mandli were pretty much relatives of Lekhraj and from with that same community.

It is stated that Om Mandli's "main activities were related to the social evils of the Bhaibund community but the teachings of the Mandli have much to do with the social and religious evils of the entire Hindu community ... its ideas are to impart spiritual education on the lines off Self-realisation, to purge the Hindu society of its primitive and unclean customs based on hypocrisy, to stop Idol worship, to inculcate ideals of cleanliness and proper upbringing of children, to create some awakening among the members of a wholly backward community and to remove its social evils of a stupendous nature."

Interestingly, I do not think that it was a first "committee of women" either as Sadhu Vaswani, who will return to the story soon, started his Sakhi Satsang in 1929, which also largely composed of women, with a welfare committee and girls school by 1933, all pre-dating DLRs.
    So, what else do we know about this Shewak, Sevak Ram?
I have to say that we are all at a disadvantage because just as the BKs are withholding the Murlis and Vanis, the PBKs are withholding the 7 Days course ... ;-).

Any PBK care to offer an opinion and history or point out my mistakes? Anyone near Karachi to go and look through some newspaper archives for reports of these events? Funnily enough, although some individuals spoke well of the Om Mandli, it was still accused of practising hypnotism and being a cult back then!

The court case business was really appears to be very a personal fight between Lekhraj Kirpalani and the Bhaibund leader Mukhi Mangharam, who had a lot of support via other wealthy Sindhis. I suppose the former really insulted the latter by removing his daughter/daughter-in-law from the Mangharam's house without her permission.

Comments?

arjun

PBK

Post27 Mar 2007

I have to say that we are all at a disadvantage because just as the BK are withholding the Murlis and Vanis, the PBKs are withholding the 7 Days course ...

The first and most important part of the five-part Advance Course, i.e. the Trimurti Chapter has been posted in this section. That is the only chapter where most of the Advanced Knowledge related to the Yagya history can be found. If you wish I can reproduce the same in this thread.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

arjun

PBK

Post27 Mar 2007

ex-l wrote:Now, earlier in the same book, Om Radhe actually write that Dada Lekhraj retired from the business in 1932, not 1936 and started satsangs at his house which in 3 years grew to number as many as 500 people. Remember, no mention of Shiva and up until at least 1949, Dada Lekhraj is called Om Baba and then Prajapati God Brahma, the Gita Inventor. The general gist is that Om Mandali was formalised later sometime between in 1934/35, if it was formalized.

This is really interesting. Even in the Advance Course there is a reference about a Sakar Murli point published by BKs that talks about a person who was with Brahma Baba for 10 years and in whom ShivBaba used to enter and give directions to the Brahmin children.
As you know, thanks to guiding spirit, I have been given the opportunity to read through some of Om Radhe's writing, early publications from Karachi period and court proceedings and I came over this, the only references I can see that match.

As regards the mention of Sevakram as the sleeping partner of Dada Lekhraj, this seems to be contrary to what is mentioned in the Advanced Knowledge which says that Sevakram was the working partner, who invested his skill unlike Dada Lekhraj who invested his wealth.
• Does this mean that Narain Shewakram which, by co-incidence as partner and by pronounciation, has to be the same as the one mentioned by the PBKs as "Sevak Ram"? So when "Ram became Ravan", is it something to do with his role in the Bhaibund's Committee?

I don't think so. In the Advanced Knowledge it is told that in the initial years of the Yagya from 1936 ShivBaba used to give knowledge (basically clarification of Sanskrit Gita) through the business partner, but it appears rational that there was not any mention of ShivBaba in those early years because The Knowledge and Yagya was in its formative years. It is told that after taking care of the Yagya for some years, he left the Yagya due to differences with Dada Lekhraj with regard to entry of some souls into the Yagya and then he left his body in 1942. But it is not known about his activities during the period when he left the Yagya and his death in 1942.

Thanks for all this research work. But from the quotation of Mama's book that you have produced, it is not clear as to what was the main reason behind the Court case.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

ex-l

ex-BK

Post27 Mar 2007

This is going to be a long one but I want it on record. If the BKWSU starts revising its history ... AGAIN ... and recalling all the copies of Adi Dev, I want folks to know why. It was not through BapDada's touchings or Dadi's infinite wisdom.
arjun wrote:Thanks for all this research work. But from the quotation of Mama's book that you have produced, it is not clear as to what was the main reason behind the Court case.

I draw your attention to the references I have made on the Om Radhe topic, here, in particular the book I have been given that will lead you to the other sources that I am referencing. I encourage forum members to get to them quick before the Brahmakumaris erase or remove them and encourage any BKs reading this to request copies from the so-called University and then start asking questions about the variances between the different stories. It looks to me that Adi Dev is of no more weight than the comic book versions based on and that Jagdish Chander was in charge of the historical revision wing. Under whose guidance I donot know at present.

I encourage you to start with;

'Is this Justice? Being an account of the founding of the Om Mandli & the Om Nivas and their suppression, by application of the Criminal Law Amendment Act of 1908' by Om Radhe, 1939. ASIN:B00089UWHE
I must say that it also appears to me that the historical facts are at variance with the version put out by Virendra Dev Dixit and this book will allow you access specifically dated public records ... and the names of other bit part players which will be traceable.

The 3 main reasons behind the court cases are stated as (this is not my interpretation);

• Lekhraj Kirpalani encouraging one of his daughters to leave the house of another high status Sindhi Bhaibund members father-in-law Mukhi Mangaram. This would have been a huge taboo and offence within their society.
    • The marriage of another of Lekhraj Kirapani's daughter to a school teacher outside of the community is a ceremony of his own devises. (Again, another taboo ... potentially I am guessing this might have been a celibate Yagya marriage otherwise it is very strange that he gave his daughter away to the sword of lust).
    • The encouragement of 3 other women by Lekhraj Kirapani to leave their husbands and not go back when requested andhis support of there thereof
In short, and this is my interpretation, Lekhraj Kirapani put the Bhaibund community's nose out of joint, challenged their authority unrepentendly and became involved, primarly by the Yukti of "refusing to become involved" in sending them back to their husbands as any man would have done.

Additionally, there was the issue of children being held at the Om Mandlie/Om Nivas school without their parent or parent permission and the allegation that he had been seen touch one of the young girls on the thigh and the questionable issue of children going into trances.

The flames of the conflict are stated by third parties to have been fueled by the attitude and responses of Om Radhe, and 3 other girls who had become argumentative and "long-tongued" towards their parents, disobedient and refusing to accept their authority. There were girls running away from Hyderabad to Karachi and being put up at Om Mandli without their parents permission etc. Obviously the Bhaibund were very concerned that young girls and young women were being taught celibacy ... it i important to state what an absolutely outright challenge to the traditions of the community this would have been. (I am not saying that challenign authority was wrong).

As Om Radhe wrote, by all accounts for the first 3.5 years (which would take it back to 1934) there was no bad will shown towards the Mandli and the man were happy and encouraged that their wives go to satsand. It was these, PERSONAL, smites between Lekhraj Kirpalani and the other men of the Bhaibund, on top of his outspoken criticisms of their lifestyle, that broke the camels back. Bear in mind, the children at Om Nivas were between 4 to 12 years old and the teenage girls involved were younger than 16.

From then on it, things just want crazy and it is VERY CLEAR that;

a) it was a very domestic type of dispute between caste and family members
    b) it was, in retrospect, all about very petty power politics involving a number of different interest groups in the community ... far from the mental projection of Kauravas and Pandavas and Courts of Indras we are fed ... a time when there were many tensions in the air between different political and religious groups and, of course, The British who actually defended and saved Lekhraj Kirpalani and the Mandli. The British Government and Judicial members come out looking like paragons of patience, rationalism and mercy balancing above a vipers nest of mania on all sides.
From my reading, I cannot believe that Om Radhe, President of the Om Mandli, wrote all these quasi-legal letters. At one point she is described as Vice-President and Kirpalani as President, then he appears to have stood down and aside, perhaps when an EXTERNAL ORDER was made than men ought be excluded frm the Om Mandli and it be women only. Note an external that they complied with. Until that time, all the related families had been living together is what I interret to have been some hippie compound on a par with Waco, i.e. dormitories for men and women, shared communal areas, all built at Lekhraj Kirpalani's expense.

From my reading, the then 20 year who reportedly spoke Hindi with only a few words of English, carried on an extensive and impertinent legal dialogue in nigh perfect legal English with the British Officials telling the Honorable Judges what the law did and did not say Collector while trying to resolve a community dispute that was threatening Hindu and Moslem relationships, the rise of Communism and the Swaraj movement, within a to be Pakistan at a time when India and the British grip on it, was falling apart and WWII was just about to kick off. Also at a time when the British, through their legal system, had removed a lot of power from the local men's Bhaibund Panchayat, who must have ben left feeling awfully impotent and weak in the face of foreign invaders.

It give me the impression that Lekhraj Kirpalani was very wiley and 'political' - as I would have expected him to be - working through the capable voice piece of Radhe. Perhaps the spook/spooks were too? She was by all accounts quite outstandingly confident for a young girl.

And without a doubt, the voice of the Brahma-kumari was right-winged, bigotted and nationalist. the do not lose an opportunity to malign the "5.6 crore science-proud illiterate Kauravas" who are about to be eradicated from Bharat by the invention of their own "Gas, bombs and armaments" nor to they pull their punches against the 95% illiterate "communalists", priest, pundits, Sikhs, saddhus and basically everybody else except from themselves. Its a wonder they did not send someone to Germany and meet up with Himmler and Goebels and start up European service sooner. They would have goaded the Jews no end by their calling them "Islamic" children. (This stuff if not made up. It is all direct quotes from the Number Two soul who was meant to have been living with God at this time).

Going back to the disempowered men of the Panchayat. In former days they would have had the power to decide what is, and what is not, a wrongful and damaging act for the community that they by their endeavors financially supported and physically protected in a communalistic, feudal manner. I think that is reasonable, they are the ones that dealt with the **** when it arose.

The British had removed this from them, invigorated a very poor natural and backward environment and people by their industry and investment (Sukkur Barrage on the Indus River in 1932) and determined Karachi as a capital of one of a British feifdom ... the "impositions of British knowledge on Indian barbarism", to quote Macaulay, that must have been stunging the Hindu Sindis who it is said had little religious tendencies but were into much safer money and mercantile power. They are called the Jews of India. Not my words, I have little direct experience with Sindis except for seeing the lavish surroundings many live in.

To have then had this authority challenged by functionally illiterate women and teen age girls, the men of the Bhaibund must have been hugely threatening and was badly managed. The women and girls in their "revolt against their community" (actually words quoted) where being heavily financied and back up by theintellect of a high developed and wiley businessman, Lekhraj Kirpalani, who no doubt also had a position within the status system of the Bhaibund with envies and alliances. These women and girls had no financial support of their own, they were supported by Lekhraj Kirpalani.

There are wonderful headlines from papers of the time such as;

"Panchayat and OM Mandli Dada Dev Should be Given A Bullett"
that suggest what the rest of the more liberal and educated Sindhi and English speaking community through of the situation. The controversy followed the Mandli from Hyderabad, where they had been basically forcibly shut down and outlawed, to Karachi. Property was confiscated, orders made to stop the men and women living together because that was an offense to Hindus, police guard imposed, girls had to have written authority from parents to be with Lekhraj Kirpalani which was to be shown to the guards and so on.

Did you read on the Wikipedia, those official BKs trying to say there was no evidence to suggest that they were forced to move and deleting tiny references to all this stuff? ... the official version of the history is entirely whitewashed, an airy fairy divine dream of a New Age God "inspiring", giving them a touching to move. Yah ... the had families and the community in pieces and at each others throats and was threatening not just it but British Rule!

When matters had just about settled down, by Lekhraj Kirpalani bowing down to official requests that "junior girls" be sent back home to their families where they did not have permission to be away, matters were inflamed by the involvement of an orthodox Hindu, Sadhu Vaswani.

Now, right or wrong, God or not, they were awfully insulting towards the orthodox Hindus but you can see where so many of their modes started. Vaswani was also local to Karachi. He was also involved in the upliftment of women. He had a school for girls and a welfare committee run for and by women that pre-dated Kirpalani's. I can imagine that Om Mandli was a great threat to them. Then the whole things goes completely out of orbit with the machinations of certain powerful members of the Bhaibund communIty who had business dealings, (FOR WHICH, I GUESS, READ MONEY LENDER AND FINANCIER) and ran an oil mill (FOR WHICH READ HELD LIFE AND DEATH OVER THE COMMUNITY) probably acting out of good faith from their perspective, attempting to shut Kirpalani's operation down for good quickly for the sake of protecting the status quo.

Accha, Om Shanti ... more tomorrow morning, kids. Be here at 6.30 am sharp.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post27 Mar 2007

Out of respect for the other side, I wanted to underline that there was no such thing as the Anti-Om Mandli Committee NOR the Anti-Party. These are both figments of the early Brahma-kumaris minds, constructs which we have swallowed hook, line and sinker, and part of their "hearts and minds" propaganda war, just as "The Shankar Party" is as a name for the PBKs.

It was called the Bhaibund Om Mandali Committee and, my reading is, must have involved both reactionary hot heads and liberals attempting to create peace between the two parties. I am wondering if Narain Shewakram (Narayan Sevak Ram) was as Lekhraj Kirpalani's previous sleeping partner, trying to act as a go-between for the two parties? I would also like to know the material facts of the business arrangement and the nature of the dissolution of their business. Was it equitable or acrimonious? Why would a sleeping partner be left owing money!?! A sleeping partner is generally the financier. Has the story of Sevak Ram and Lekhraj Kirpalani, which partner was which, between jumble up by the Brahma-kumaris at a later date?
    • If the Mandli started in 1932 and he died in 1942, there are the 10 years the PBKs speak about (although they story to date also does not quite match the apparent facts). What was his involvement?
Om Radhe, as Lekhraj Kirpalani appears to have kept his head down and out of it, is endless and unlimited in her well aimed slagging off of anyone and every one ... so, to be honest, it is no wonder matters were wonder up so much. You can also see the beginnings of the BKWSU party propaganda and jockeying with facts, more of which latter.

P.S By 1938 the famous committee of 8 or 9 was actually already 18 and so I do not know yet when it was reduced again to fit in with the current "Official" history.

They and their ages were;

Original 9
    Radhi Pokaradas Rajwani 22
    Palu Motiram Dhanrajmal 22, married
    Parpati Nanikram Wasvani 21
    Roopvanti Hassaram Balani 24, married
    Sundri Karamchand Mahtani 17
    Gudi Kewelram Mahitani 28, married
    Rama Gopaldas Hathiramani 18 [N.B. IS THIS NOT A BOY???]
    Radhika K. Kirpalani 26, married [Lekhraj Kirpalani daughter-in-law]
    Motil Ratanchand Surtani 18
Co-opted
    Lila Rijhumal Sukhrani 15
    Mithi Naraindas Daswani 18 [N.B. IS THIS NOT A BOY???]
    Lachhmi Paramanand 18, married
    Rukmani Hathiramani 36, married
    Gopi Hashmatrai Hathiramani
    Sati Bhojraj Wadhwani 18, married
    Lachhmi Sobhraj Chulani 40, married
    Sati Rijhumal Sukhrani, 45, married
    Jasoda Lekhraj Kripalani, 45 [Lekhraj Kirpalani's wife]
The calculator wrote:Question:
    Jasoda was 45 and Lekhraj was by this time meant to be 63, the invisible and unspoken of God Shiva having decended in 1936
Therefore, if she was 18 when she was married ... which is a loose averge as probably she would have been much younger ... was or would Lekhraj Kirpalani have been 36 when he was married? This seem very, very late for a 19th Century rural Indian marriage. (One, Can anyone coroborate this?)
    One daughter Radhika was 26, married.
    Palu Motiram, (who caused the trouble being married to the Muhki's son) was 22; so Lekhraj Kirpalani would have had to have been 41 when he sired her.
    Another daugher, Surya Kamari must have high tailed it.
So if Lekhraj Kirpalani was 53 by now then that would have made him 26 when he got married which seem more likely. Do we have an age for his marriage?

In the Mandli, there were;
    111 married women between the ages of 18 and 60 (mostly in 20 and early 30s)
    101 unmarried girls between the age of 6 and 22 (most in early teens)
    44 men between the ages of 7 to 56
    51 children (boys and girls) between the ages of 5 to 15 attending Om Nivas
    7 (8 including Lekhraj Kirpalani) Grahastis, or householder guardians, e.g. Mrs, daughter-in-laws and neices of Prajapati God Brahma etc.
THERE IS NO MENTION OF A 23 YEAR OLD "JANKI KRIPALANI/KIRPALANI" - which is what the BKWSU state. There is a 37 (?) year old Janki Khubchand Dasvani, Khubchand is also a name of Lekhraj Kirpalani, and a 15 year old Janki Parmanand Mahtani and a 13 year old Janki Metharam Kirpalani. Can anyone help me out with family names here?
    Has Janki added 10 years to her life to fit in which the change in Lekhraj Kirpalani'
Now, to be honest, if I had returned from a few months away at see doing business to look after my family, I think I would have been peed off to discover that my 18 year old wife had left me to go and live in a New Age commune. No wonder things blew up as they did. What they and their myth and magic matter to the rest of the world ... who knows?

Now, I would ask anyone reading this with 21st Century Western liberal eyes - and welcome to the learned academic scholars amongst you - to remember that in early 20th/late 19th Century desert Sind, "family" was not a choice and preference, it was a life and death matter. There was no social security to protect you, few home comforts, as there still is not for the majority of India and the world. A family, not just a man, needed a women to provide children to ensure a secure old age.

It was a poor part of the world for which going to the sea as a merchant was the only real lifeline and way to work your way up. It had also seem countless wars and invasions sat between the Hindu and Islamic worlds.
    BTW, who was Mr Rijhumal Partabrai?

ex-l

ex-BK

Post27 Mar 2007

I am going to copy a current copy of the "official" history of the BKWSU as off today. I do not consider this copyright infringement and it is for non-commercial use, study and discussion.

I am also considering that there is a very strong element of "Public Interest" becoming involved in these matters which would take precedent over anyone's such rights, especially in the USA where both of the above are protected in law by the First Amendment. I also believe as the "Children of God", and stake holders in the commonwealth of the Yagya, the members of this forum have an equal right to knowledge and that no foreign human authority owns the right to it.

There is no finanical interest or gain to be had by the inclusion of this information and if the BKWSU are acting as agents as God, be it Shiva or otherwise, then I am only following his Shrimat by acting as a "mic" to broadcast this message to the world. FTBKs

History of the Institution, click either of these links to go to the official BKWSU website.
    The Formal Establishment of the Institution
BKWSU wrote:In October 1937, the institution Prajapita Brahmakumaris Ishwariya Vishwa Vidyalaya was formally established. A spiritual trust was constituted of a committee of nine young women with Om Radhe as the head. Om Radhe took charge of administering the institution and became the leading teacher. Dada, now called Prajapita Brahma, gave away the entirety of his worldly wealth and property to the trust committee. Never before, in the history of the world had any male surrendered all his belongings to a trust, constituted only of ladies. Nowhere had women been given such an honour, as here, to head and run a spiritual organisation. He gave charge of all the institution's affairs into the hands of the dedicated women. His sole task now was faithfully to fulfill the role of being God's medium, and to take responsibility for being a complete example of surrender to the will of the Highest.

Om Radhe operated the institution on the day-to-day basis, applying the Godly principles of economy and simplicity. She remained detached in her role as administrator, employing her own well developed powers of judgment and discrimination, combined with her own innate gentleness and sense of co-operation. She herself always remembered that it was God's work she was performing, not her own. The Knowledge which she taught to others, and on the basis of which she had attained her personal fulfillment, was given directly by the Supreme and she was only His instrument. Her duty was to be ever obedient to God's wishes.
    Om Mandli - The Majestic Spiritual Gathering
BKWSU wrote:Subsequent to these magnificent realizations, Dada started sharing The Knowledge with his friends and relatives. When he revealed to them that they were souls, they melted in joy, experiencing God's Love as it poured directly from Dada's eyes. As others came in contact with him now, they became transfixed. Men and women, rich and poor, all felt the experience. As if the light of their life was awakened, they became self-realised. They experienced themselves as light. Along with this came peace of mind. Their desires, their vices, dropped away. They began to lead pure lives - pure in eating, drinking, speaking, acting and thinking. In a remarkably short time, God, through Dada, had transformed the lives of all who came close. He educated these souls untiringly, and even as their numbers grew, He gave love like a Father, a completely selfless parent, merciful and just. He also showed them rules and methods for making their lives as elevated and as valuable as they could possibly be. God was creating living diamonds. Thus started a unique spiritual gathering, which was named Om Mandli.

In short time, the word spread and more and more people started attending. They felt immediately the charged vibrations in the atmosphere, vibrations of warmth and love and power which could not issue from a human being. Both men, women and children who came to the gathering received visions, sometimes of deities, the future establishment of the Golden Age, sometimes of the forthcoming destruction of the impure world of Kaliyuga and of God as an incorporeal point of light. The newcomers did receive extraordinary and blissful experiences, but they thought that Dada was responsible. They did not realize that the Supreme Father Himself was behind this phenomenon, and was speaking to them through Dada's mouth. Even Dada himself in the beginning wondered how these visions came about. Only later was it clear who was performing in such a miraculous manner. They gradually comprehended that Dada had become the corporeal medium which was being used by God to disseminate His Highest Knowledge.

Meeting Dada was unfailingly rewarding experience. His head shone visibly with the light of purity and self-realization. His eyes were filled with spiritual might. It seemed as if rays of light were streaming out of them. To be in his presence was soaked in peace. The coolness of Dada's mind and senses made others also cool. Dada's bearing was so royal, and yet his style of living so simple, that one could well imagine him a god in exile, secretly winning again his ancient kingdom of the world. It was no wonder he attracted so many good people to him, who found at last not merely a teacher, but an example of how to live a pure and successful life, a lotus like life, in the muddy pond of this Iron world and yet above it, attached only to God.
    Fourteen Years of Intense Self Effort
BKWSU wrote:The members of the institution spent the next fourteen years in Karachi (in Pakistan) involved in intense meditation and deep spiritual study. They were around 300 in number; majority of them were young ladies and all had completely dedicated themselves to the institution. The strong foundation for the institution was laid in these years by way of complete Self-Realision and God-Realistion.

What did the group do and what they achieved in these fourteen years of self effort?
    • There was intense self-introspection. The effort was to completely understand the self, the true nature and to realize the goals of life. They intensely practiced soul -consciousness.

• There were very deep realizations about God – His name, His form, His divine actions, His role at present and relationship between soul and Supreme Soul.

• They made very honest and selfless efforts to root out ordinary,waste and negative tendencies from the soul. With the ‘fire' of Yoga or meditation, a person would be able to burn all his or her weaknesses.

• The group had many divine revelations in the form of divine visions through which they learnt many secrets. They comprehended the beginning, the middle and the end of this world. They also understood how different religions got established, original religion of humankind and about The Cycle of time.

• Through the practice of the Godly knowledge and meditation, they became complete embodiment of purity, peace and bliss. They realised that this is very much essential to give the experience of peace and bliss to others.

• Discover the power of thought. Thoughts are the seeds of all actions. Thoughts determine the character and destiny of a person. Even sitting at one place, how the thoughts work wonders at the mental plane all over the world.

• Discover the power of silence. Silence is not just the absence of sound. It is the stage where the soul would go into the depths of meditation and attain infinite peace. In this lies the seed for the establishment of world peace. A soul in this state can spread peaceful vibrations for the entire world.

• They learnt the art of making every karma or action divine and fruitful. They learnt to lead a life of total self-discipline that would please the self, the Supreme and the people around. Even the seemingly ordinary activities like walking, drinking, eating, cooking, sleeping, talking etc can be turned into elevated actions.

• The Knowledge that was imparted was new. It was revealed knowledge. Quite a few of the inmates of the institution were blessed with trance-vision. They felt detached from the body and cut-off from the surrounding environment and could see the Three Worlds and also the past, the present and the future with the spiritual vision or the Third-Eye. Dada had seen a picture of the World Tree and the World Wheel, called Kalpa Vriksha and Srishti Chakra, by means of divine intellect. These pictures became the basic aids for imparting Godly knowledge and learning spiritual doctrines.

• Due to their intense spiritual efforts, they realized how an individual empowered with spiritual and moral values could become an instrument of establishing peace in the society.

• The importance of time – This is the time in which God has descended and is laying the foundation for the new world. Each and every second is important. This period of confluence is very short but decisive in the history of mankind.

• In these years, members of the group made honest self-efforts through which they made themselves immune to negative influences of this world. Only persons of such integrity and selfless motives would be successful in establishing peace in the society.
Thus, it was a phase when everyone surrendered themselves to God; when each one took His refuge and gave up dependence on anyone else; when everyone dedicated his/her body, mind and all to Him and was now willing to make any sacrifice for creating the new world and was devoted to self- purification through Tapasya or intense self effort.
    Shifting to Mount Abu
BKWSU wrote:In August, 1947, India was partitioned and Pakistan came into existence. For a couple of years, the Sisters and Brothers of the institution did some spiritual service to the people of Pakistan. They wrote letters of spiritual knowledge to Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Liaquat Ali Khan and other leaders and distributed thousands of books to the people in that country. They asked them to make that country morally clean in accordance with the meaning of the word 'Pakistan' (Pak means pure). They invited them to have Godly inheritance of Purity and Peace and not to shed blood. The government of Pakistan appreciated the message of Purity but the whole country was in a disturbed state and there was influx of refugees and the attention of the people was not towards God or spiritual values.

Much later after the partition, the institution shifted to India in 1950. It selected Mount Abu as it is a quiet place, a hill resort, a pilgrimage and a small city of lakes, suitable for deep meditation experiences and for imparting these teachings to others. They had undergone intense spiritual training and were now ready to share knowledge and experience with others. These people had discovered that blame and praise, victory or defeat, gain and loss, hunger and thirst, heat and cold, poverty and prosperity, all the pairs of opposites, are merely tests which would come to everyone. Through remembrance of God and limitless faith, one can meet all the situations with a smiling face.

It is to be noted that the local Pakistani people, including some leaders, tried to dissuade the institution from leaving Pakistan. "We will give you better facilities", they said. "You will not experience any unhappiness here Why are you going away then? If you stay here, there will not be any unholy acts done in this country. We will take care of all of you in every way. You are of God; you have no connection with the politics of the Hindu or the Muslim". But the institution had the Godly command to go to India and so they moved to Mount Abu in India
    The Divine Descent of God
BKWSU wrote:Once Dada was sitting in a satsang (spiritual gathering) which he had arranged in honor of his guru. In between he got up and went to his room, which he had never done in his life, for it was a sign of disrespect. The following is the description of one of the persons who had the good fortune of being there.

"The eyes of Dada had become completely red, as if a red light was glowing inside him. His whole face had become red, and even the room was now illumined, with reddish, otherworldly glow. And something began to happen inside me too! I felt bodiless! How can I describe it? I was there and yet I wasn't. I was simply light. My mind felt clearer than it ever had been. I heard a sound from above. It was as if through the mouth of Dada, Someone else was speaking! That voice was so very quiet at first, then it grew louder and louder. It was stunning, not frightening, but simply awe-inspiring. The voice spoke thus:

Nijanand Rupam Shivoham Shivoham
Gyan Swarupam Shivoham Shivoham
Prakash Swarupam Shivoham Shivoham
Nijanand Swarup, Gyan Swarup, Prakash Swarup

(Translation:
    I am the Blissful Self, I am Shiva; I am Shiva ...
    I am the Knowledgeful Self, I am Shiva; I am Shiva ...
    I am the Luminous Self, I am Shiva; I am Shiva ...
    I am the Form of Self, the Form of Knowledge, the Form of Light.)
"To this day, I cannot forget that voice, nor that scene. The atmosphere was electric, more than realm and my condition of feeling as if without a body is still alive in my memory. As soon as Dada opened his eyes, he started looking around with great wonder. Whatever he had seen, had jolted to the core of his being".

During that time, Dada saw tremendous Light and Power which told 'You have to make such a world'. And he had the vision of an altogether new world. But he did not know how that world was to be made. How shall he be able to make such a world?
Dada fell into deep, deep thought. He immersed himself in the work of solving the mystery of this unparalleled event. 'Who was that?' What kind of power could give him such visions, such knowledge, such self-realisation? Gradually he unraveled the logic and the implications of it all; the secret was unveiled to his astounded intellect.

Based on our real life experiences we clearly know that it was God, the Supreme Soul, Shiva, Himself, had entered into his body. It was God who had revealed the truth about the coming destruction, and of the establishment of the heavenly world which would then follow. And it was God Himself who had given the sign that he, Dada, was to be His medium and the engine for creating such a divine world.
    Divine Visions
BKWSU wrote:Dada Lekhraj had a very humble beginning as the son of a schoolmaster. Though born in a middle class family, he rose quickly in his profession by dint of hard effort, honesty combined with cleverness and focused intellect, to become one of the richest men in India. He was a very pious, humble, accurate, disciplined, noble, Godly, spiritual minded and devotee of highest order and he was trusted and respected by all people who knew him, including kings during that period. He was an ordinary person in the sense that he was neither a mass leader nor a politician; neither a saint nor a scientist. But he was a man with special qualities.

Dada was contemplating a life of retirement and spend the rest of his life in complete devotion as he was nearing sixty, but little did he realize that something out of the world would happen in his life. He was stunned and astonished by a series of divine visions that he had never imagined.

One day while Dada was sitting in the back hall of his bungalow with a group of fellow disciples of his guru, he began to get strange experience. He recognized these unique inner sensations as the onset of a spiritual encounter, but still he knew neither their cause nor purpose. Yet there was exquisite sense of heightened perception, a new clarity of mind and vision. A powerful intuitive grasp of reality was growing in him inexorably. He went to his own room to get away from the company of his visitors. As he sat alone, absorbed in the incomprehensible manifestations of a new level of being, he was filled with a divine intoxication. Waves of unutterable bliss surged on him, drenched him in ecstasy. He had gone beyond all conscious of his body, he was pure soul, pure light, afloat in an ocean of bliss. Then a revelation: a vision of the four-armed form deity of Vishnu.

Few days later, Dada received a double revelation: first a vision of Jyothirlingam Shiva Paramatma (The Supreme Soul whose eternal form is a Point of Light), and then, a terrifying vision of the destruction of the modern world.

The vision of Shiva (mening world benefactor) clinched his understanding of his own identity. The Supreme Soul is a Point of Light. His children, the souls are truly just such tiny forms, sparks of conscient light. Only we, the children, take bodies and play out our roles on the stage of the physical world, while Shiva remains in His eternal form. And by taking birth and rebirth, we forget ourselves, while He knows the entire cosmic play. He watches as, life after life, the souls decline, their energies decrease and they begin to act viciously toward one another. Then, before the end, He comes, to lift His children to perfection once again. But what kind of end is it, which is about to come, and what sort of new beginning?

Dada witnessed in his vision the destruction. He saw that very powerful bombs had been manufactured and were being fired. He saw guided missiles with warheads of such devastating potency that whole regions of earth were burnt up in a moment. Gigantic fireballs, cities in flame, unbearable storms of fire were raging everywhere. When he received his visions, America had not dropped the first atomic bombs.

Dada also saw how the death came slower through wars and civil wars, culminating in an awesome wave of natural catastrophes: floods and tidal waves, earthquakes of every kind wreaking havoc on the scarred face of the earth. Dada began to tremble uncontrollably upon witnessing the scenes of this great world wide destruction. Humans and animals were running wildly about, trying to save their lives, to escape from the jaws of death. But there was no escape. The wail of horror, the rivers of blood and pus, the panic and the desperation, and then, the final death. The silent aftermath. Dada, who had never shed a tear, was weeping now. "Oh, God, please stop this, please stop this!" he cried. "What a terrible destruction! Please, now show me your other side, your beautiful form."

With these visions, everything was changed for Dada. He could not apply his mind to diamond business any more. It simply held no interest. He decided to wind up his affairs. He had owned his shop there for so many years, and yet it all looked so strange to him, so meaningless. He walked down the aisles of his jewelry ware-house, looking at the trays full of glittering diamonds, millions of dollars worth of gems, gleaming symbols of the greatest wealth, which men were known to kill and die for and he felt that they were simply stones, worthless hunks of mineral.

Later, Dada saw the moment of his uncle's death. He saw the soul take leave of the body, exiting through the forehead. Life energy, rising like mercury in a thermometer, moved up from the toes and concentrated in the head. In an instant the soul departed. Thus Dada understood the process of death. Only the body died, he saw clearly. Not the soul.
    Prajapita Brahma
BKWSU wrote:Pitashri Prajapita Brahma was the founding Father of the Brahmakumaris. He became the instrument of Almighty God for the establishment of the institution in 1936. Prior to the establishment of the institution, he was well known as Dada Lekhraj.

Though by birth he was an ordinary man, there were many special qualities in him, qualities apparent though indefinable, even at first glance. He gad a delightful, indescribable attractiveness, a charisma which surrounded him like a glow. One felt even from afar the love, the humility, the heart-felt sincerity of his nature. Even more, one felt the strength and there was the unforgettable, magnetic attraction of his eyes. His ways of living, his gentlemanly manner, his true devotion, won him friends and admirers wherever he set foot. Darkness and depression were unknown to this soul.

Dada Lekhraj was born in 1876 in Sindh province of the present Pakistan. Though his Father was a schoolmaster by profession, he began his own career as a small wheat merchant. Later he entered the diamond trade. Almost by instinct, he developed great expertise in discriminating the value of different gems. In a very short time, his reputation grew and his business became more and more profitable. Rajas and maharajas of the native states of India, as well as the British Viceroy became his friends and clients. They afforded him utmost respect - not merely because of his brilliant diamonds, but because of the brilliance they felt in him.

Dada did not have a great deal of formal education. But he had deeply studied philosophy and different religious texts. Being a great devotee, he would never compromise on his religious activities and living style. He was fond of going on pilgrimages and visited various pilgrim centers. He often invited sadhus and sannyasis to be his houseguests. He enjoyed conversing with them on their religious understanding. He had great faith in religious teachers. Being a great philanthropist, Dada was always involved in charitable activities. He was always a selfless donor. He would sit with his uncle and together they would hand out their money to the lines of people who arrived in need of help.

With the establishment of the institution Prajapita Brahmakumaris Ishwariya Vishwa Vidyalaya, Dada Lekhraj was called Pitashri Prajapita Brahma, the Father of humanity and people called him Brahma Baba. Pitashri Brahma followed the directions of God at every step of his life. He always had good wishes for everyone and carefully guided many to their predestined aim.

Pitashri (meaning Father) was a picture of humility. He worked long hours, efficiently performing every type of service including the most menial work. The spirit of service, humility and dedication became ideal for everyone. He warned that one should not work for winning personal glory or name, fame and titles, for he considered one's desire for praise and rewards as a subtle kind of begging and as a weakness of character.

Pitashri Brahma was a constant source of inspiration and wisdom for everyone. He taught the subtlest secrets of how to invoke in the self, divine attributes such as introspection. He spent lot of time in solitude thinking deeply about the information which God was delivering through him. He re-educated his mind to comprehend from every perspective the meaning of contemporary events and eternal verities. He was able to see the whole world process clearly

Pitashri Brahma gave joy to others through his deep spirituality. His stage of soul-consciousness was so high and powerful that most of the people who sat near him felt that they were becoming more and more detached from their bodies. They noticed a divine light enveloping him on all sides and would see a strange radiance there. This experience charmed them so much as to make them long for the lasting joy of this experience.

After leading a life of highest order and principles, in which every of his action was filled with divinity and became ideal for everyone to emulate, Pitashri left his mortal coils in 1969 to attain angelichood.
    Mateshwari Saraswati
BKWSU wrote:MATESHWARI Saraswati was the first administrative head of Brahma Kumaris. She came into the fold during the early period of its inception. She was able to digest Godly Knowledge, revise and churn it very accurately and stood out from the rest. She had a very sharp intellect, which she mobilised in the service of God. Her original name was Radhe. She came to be known as Om Radhe. From the moment she first heard Godly Knowledge, she was overwhelmed, her mind began dancing with joy, which never stopped. Rather the spiritual intoxication grew stronger as years passed. She recognised instantly that all the sensual happiness, which the world had to offer was without taste or merit. She determined immediately to adopt a life of Yoga and devote herself to spiritual service. She wedded herself totally to God and practiced every word of Godly directions. Total dedication led to total transformation in her.

Mateshwari had a powerful personality. She seemed a veritable goddess because of her virtues. She was awesome in her demeanor yet discrete and merciful at the same time. Her memory was legendary. If she met a person once, she would recognise him/her even in a crowd or after several years. She had a soft and sweet voice and was distinguished singer. A special kind of divinity seemed to flow with her voice and her songs were balm to the heart. She quickly developed her divine qualities to the full and set an example for others.

She applied the Godly principles of economy and simplicity in managing the affairs of the institution. Her exemplary powers of judgment and discrimination coupled with her innate gentleness and benevolence induced enthusiasm and devotion in the inmates. She was loved by one and all and lovingly called "Mama", meaning mother. She was a constant source of inspiration and guidance who set standards by her own practical life.

Mateshwari's outstanding quality was introspection. She thoroughly churned the Godly teachings received in the spiritual class, ingested and then disseminated the fine points of knowledge to others. She inspired everyone to replace weaknesses with virtues and not to compare themselves with others.

Wherever she went, large audiences flocked daily to listen to her discourses. She encouraged new aspirants; offered personal guidance and gave spiritual solutions to their problems. Her speeches and articles that were published in newspapers brought many souls towards her. All those who met her felt amazed. They had never met any other like Mateshwari.

More beautiful than her words even was Mateshwaris's silence. At one of the gatherings, she was about to be introduced from the rostrum but just as the moderator turned to look at her, he was so moved by the angelic presence, which he saw before him that he simply stopped mid- sentence, transfixed. Mateshwari walked to the center of the stage and stood in glowing silence. She looked around at the audience, which touched the hearts of the souls so much that many of them were filled with tears of joy. Actually, her deep stage of meditation was giving them an instant experience of the bliss of being with God with just a shining look. The audience was hushed and entranced. Later she electrified her listeners with her discourse.

Mateshwari served by her superb life, loveful guidance and tireless zeal. She left her mortal coil on 24th June 1965, but her teachings continue to guide the institution.
At a later date, I hope to go into an analysis of the difference but request third party contributions of further factual or no-factual information. No ass kissing please.

proy

ex-BK

Post27 Mar 2007

BKWSU wrote:It is to be noted that the local Pakistani people, including some leaders, tried to dissuade the institution from leaving Pakistan. "We will give you better facilities", they said. "You will not experience any unhappiness here Why are you going away then? If you stay here, there will not be any unholy acts done in this country. We will take care of all of you in every way. You are of God; you have no connection with the politics of the Hindu or the Muslim". But the institution had the Godly command to go to India and so they moved to Mount Abu in India

This is what I was always taught, and I always had my doubts. Is it true? Did the Pakistani's really want them to stay or were they chucked out because they were Hindus and Pakistan was a new Islamic state? Or for some other reason? Or were they offered a better deal by the Indians around Mt. Abu?
PreviousNext

Return to The BKWSU