BKWSU timeline

for discussing revisions in the history of the Brahma Kumaris and updating information about the organisation

ex-l

ex-BK

BKWSU timeline

Post24 Sep 2008

uddhava wrote:I think also helpful in 'BK for Dummies' would be a basic chronology (don't know if this is already on the site somewhere) showing (approximate) dates for maybe the ten most significant events in BK history, e.g. birth of Lekhraj Kirpalani, first visions, first Murli, first Murli that survives today, death of Lekhraj Kirpalani, arrival of BK in the West, emergence of PBK etc.

This was taken from another topic, here, regarding the "BKWSU for beginners" page linked to at the top of the page.

In an ideal world, it should be a non-controversial topic to which anyone can contribute. I know that there are a few early dates where the evidence we have contradicts the BKWSU "official dates" but I tend to think the older books are more accurate. I also made a page in the Encyclopedia, here; BKWSU Timeline to which people can add dates after logging on again in there.

Here is a starter;

1884 Lekhraj Kripalani born
    1932 Lekhraj Kripalani retires and starts holding Satsang at his home in Hyderabad, Sind
    1937 Om Mandli face public criticism and legal action, Kripalani creates committee of women including his wife and 'Om Radhe'
    1938 Kripalani said to surrender his wealth and property to an unnamed trust
    1950 Om Mandli moved to Mount Abu
    1951 (approx) God Shiva is introduced into Brahma-kumari beliefs
    1952 Service in India
    1965 Om Radhe dies and B.K. Manmohini become 'Controller of Service'
    1969 Lehkraj Kripalani dies
    1971 Service in London and Hong Kong starts
    1974 Janki Kirpalani goes to London to develop service in the West
    1985 Organizational head Didi Manmohini dies
    1986 Million Minutes of Peace - Celebrations of Golden Jubilee Year (50 years)
    1991 J. Watumull Memorial Global Hospital and Research Centre founded
    2007 Organizational head Dadi Prakash Mani died after prolonged illness

arjun

PBK

Re: BKWSU timeline

Post24 Sep 2008

1969 = Baba Virendra Dev Dixit joins BKWSU
1976 = Emergence of PBKs

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post24 Sep 2008

arjun wrote:1969 = Baba Veerendra Dev Dixit joins BKWSU
1976 = Emergence of PBKs

With respect, is not that a timeline for the PBKs?

arjun

PBK

Post24 Sep 2008

mr green wrote:with respect, is not that a time line for the PBKs?

If you could kindly read the words of uddhava that ex-l has quoted in his first post of this thread, he has mentioned 'emergence of PBKs' in the end. I just added the year when Baba Virendra Dev Dixit first joined BKWSU because that has had a significant effect on the Yagya history.

The BKWSU may not treat AIVV (of PBKs) as a part of the Yagya, but PBKs definitely treat them as a part and parcel of the Yagya.

uddhava

ex-BK

Post24 Sep 2008

mr green wrote:with respect, is not that a time line for the PBKs?

Perhaps I should have said 'BK family' rather than the narrower 'BKWSU'. Anyway even if it was strictly BKWSU, I would say that the emergence of a second Chariot is hugely significant, but no doubt will not be found in the 'official' BKWSU history (ie BKWSU website).

bansy

Post24 Sep 2008

So a timeline for BK and a timeline for PBK ?

Wow, then we'll have to have milestones for the shooting periods too. Remember those a while back :D ?

arjun

PBK

Post24 Sep 2008

uddhava wrote:Perhaps I should have said 'BK family' rather than the narrower 'BKWSU'. Anyway even if it was strictly BKWSU, I would say that the emergence of a second Chariot is hugely significant, but no doubt will not be found in the 'official' BKWSU history (ie BKWSU website).

Perhaps emergence and shutting down of xbkchat.com, emergence of this forum and the gradual decline of BKs' Aussie forum to insignificance could also be considered important milestones in Yagya history :D.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post24 Sep 2008

Yes, I think both PBK and ex-BK events should be included as they have affected the BKWSU. Back to work suggesting them anyone?

1994 - saw the launch of the third international project, Sharing Our Values for a Better World
    1996 - first Living Values meeting at the UN in New York

uddhava

ex-BK

Post25 Sep 2008

When did DL start calling himself by a different name? Also these are not events but I would suggest including the years for the oldest surviving BK documents (with links if online) in English (1943?) and Hindi (?). Or maybe a separate timeline for dateable documents including posters etc to show the development of BK ideas.

1951 (approx) God Shiva is introduced into Brahma-Kumari beliefs

Would this be the same date for when the Murli started? Another useful date would be for the oldest surviving Murli - if I remember correctly, a lot of the early ones went missing.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post25 Sep 2008

Nov 2003 - xBKChat.com discussion forum by unknown ex-BKs
March 2006 - xBKChat.com, believed to be closed down under influence from BKs or BKWSO
April 2006 - Brahmakumaris.info discussion forum and website established
September 2007 - BKWSO starts legal action against Brahmakumaris.info to remove domain name
December 2007 - National Arbitration Forum denies BKWSO challenge

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post25 Sep 2008

Sorry Arjun, I meant no offense, as usual I hadn't read everything.

arjun

PBK

Post26 Sep 2008

mr green wrote:Sorry Arjun, I meant no offense, as usual I hadn't read everything.

There was no need for the apology in the first place. It was a minor issue. Anyway, thanks. :D

arjun

PBK

Post27 Sep 2008

ex-l wrote:Nov 2003 - xBKChat.com discussion forum by unknown ex-BKs
March 2006 - xBKChat.com, believed to be closed down under influence from BKs or BKWSO
April 2006 - Brahmakumaris.info discussion forum and website established

Can we know when the Aussie forum (or for that matter any of the official discussion forums of BKWSU) were started?

ex-l

ex-BK

Post29 Sep 2008

arjun wrote:Can we know when the Aussie forum (or for that matter any of the official discussion forums of BKWSU) were started?

The Internet Archive states that in, 2001 a forum was added, it went down but then was back up and running in Feb 2002. It shut down this year and remains down. What is interesting also to see from the archive is that Eternity Ink was called BK Media and already work out of a warehouse sized building in Leichhardt.
FORUMS

A discussion board has recently been installed to cover a range of interests and issues. You can leave you ideas or questions. Signing up should be painless and quick. You don't even have to make your email public if you don't wish. Forum guidelines should be read first though – they appear as the first category. The forums are hosted separately so you will need to use the 'back' button on your browser if you wish to return to this site. Click here to visit the forum or join a discussion.

arjun

PBK

Post29 Sep 2008

ex-l wrote:The Internet Archive states that in, 2001 a forum was added, it went down but then was back up and running in Feb 2002. It shut down this year and remains down.

Thanks for the information.

Return to The BKWSU