Meditation centre at Bandra park irks locals

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.

jann

friends or family of a BK

Meditation centre at Bandra park irks locals

Post24 Nov 2008

Meditation centre at Bandra park irks locals by Linah Baliga
Friday, November 21, 2008 01:59 IST

Residents around Katrak Park at Perry Cross Road, Bandra (W), are complaining against the peace-loving Brahmakumaris for converting the recreation ground into a meditation centre. They say that the activities of their children get restricted to a very small portion within the park.

The 2528-sq.m recreation ground (RG) has a meditation centre, four toilets, a washing area and two rooms constructed by the Brahmakumaris. As per policy norms, only 10% construction is allowed on a plot reserved for RG.

“When the plot was given for adoption, certain regulations were laid down, all of which have been flouted. I’ve received several complaints from parents that their children were being forbidden from running and screaming in the park,” said Shyama Kulkarni, president, H (West) ward Federation.

Mohammed Khan, horticultural assistant, H (West) ward said, “It should be maintained only as an RG. I’ll take action.”

However, Smitadidi, a Brahmakumari, said, “The park is open for all. Children break the benches and ruin the flower beds. We just restrict football and badminton in the park.”

She said, “We have adopted 20 gardens in the city and all of them have meditation centres. It is done in verbal consultation with the BMC. The toilets constructed are for locals.”

Mr Green

ex-BK

Re: Meditation centre at Bandra park irks locals

Post24 Nov 2008

That made me laugh.

yogi108

BK

Post25 Nov 2008

I do not know how many of you know what happens to the parks in India and even though some of them might have complaints its time that someone takes over ... They are usually used for consumption of drugs, lovers hang out since many of them don't have enough lights, and a jilted lover might even kill his estranged girl friend ... hey, come on folks, the BKs have converted these parks into something that can be used. I do not know about the Badra one but the toilets in India is such a big issue ... people like us visit the five star hotels get our cars valet parked ... use the well maintained rest rooms in those star hotels and come and tip the valet guy 10 bucks and drive away feeling clean ...

The BK maintained parks might even have nice showers since they have to shower immediately after a bowel movement!!!

Yogi

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post25 Nov 2008

Yeah but if kids cannot play there it has just been taken over.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post26 Nov 2008

yogi108 wrote:lovers hang out since many of them don't have enough lights ...

That is true enough ... India is a country of such poverty and screwed up sexual morality that young singles, and even unmarried people into their 30s, have no other options than sex and affection in internet cafes or public parks. Perhaps if their folks were not so screwed up, they could stay at home, do it in private and not bother anyone. if they did not share their home with a dozen other individuals ...

I must admit, I am with the locals and mr green on this one ... so where are the kids going to play now these killjoys have gotten their way? On the car filled roads ... or s***, p*** and garbage filled side streets? Is playing against Shrimat now? I can imagine that what the locals are claiming, the flaunting of the laws and agreements, is perfectly according to their MO.

If the BKs want to make exclusive Peace Parks where BKs can practise being angelic in, they should buy their own land and not co-opt public spaces on the bribery of putting in a toilet or free toli and rakhi for the local government officials.

Return to Anything goes