Jeevan mukti

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

Wonieka A. Meuter

Jeevan mukti

Post30 Dec 2012

Because the word jeevan mukti returned recent days in my head and I know the concept from my time at the Brahma Kumaris, I looked up what it already implies: Sikhiwiki: Jivan Mukta.

The following paragraphs are taken from the link above, I would like to explain to my own experiences and insights.
“The belief underlying the concept of mukti is, that the soul, a particle of the Supreme Soul, is, while embedded in the physical frame, in a state of viyog or separation and longs for sanyog or reunion with its source, which for it is the supreme bliss.

The jivan-mukta of Sikh conception is the realized soul, identified as gurmukh (one whose face is turned towards God). He leads the life of a common householder enriched by the experience of spiritual harmony within. "
He surrenders himself completely to the Will of God; joy and sorrow are the same to him; he experiences bliss always and viyog (separation) never" (GG, 275). Instead of the differentiating ego, the all-encompassing Divine Spirit resides in him. Existentially he belongs to the world, essentially he transcends the world.”

Mukti for me is that you are freed from your burden, and your pain etc., that you fully realize who you are. That is as well that you are completely aware of who you are and that you can achieve it in your body here on earth, like that you experience yourself as One with God (the Supreme Soul). You lead your life here on earth between the people and with the people while you have completely surrendered to the will of God. For me this means that I am attuned to the highest potential of life and the natural laws of existence. It means for me that I live unconditional love, I love life, the earth, the people and that I can see the darkness in all its facets and illuminate it with the light of my heart. That to me is transcend. You transcends thinking in right and wrong, so you can see the whole, just by remaining totally present in the body. Transcending has nothing to do with being better or higher than anyone else or going out of the body. Only then can transmutation take place, something can change substantially.

Beautiful I find to the concept of jeevan mukti that it is about liberation in life, other than the desire to liberate you in order to go into the light and not having to come back to earth. If there is love in the heart then you need not get away from the Earth, then you can be here on earth and remain on earth. Your contribution will be that you are showing how you are One with God together and how you can celebrate the joy of life here on earth.

© Wonieka A. Meuter

I made an English translation for this blog, I have written d.d. 28-11-12 at Ont-wikkelen naar heel-zijn. I am not very good in English, so excuse for the insufficient translation.

Return to Commonroom