The ahamkara and the antahkarana

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

ex-l

ex-BK

The ahamkara and the antahkarana

Post07 Feb 2012

Interesting for me, perhaps not for others, I was reading for the first time about the ahamkara and the antahkarana.

In Hindu philosophy, the antahkarana refers to the totality of two levels of mind, namely buddhi (intellect) or higher mind, and manas, the middle level or levels of mind. Antahkarana is called the link between the middle and higher mind, and is described as the reincarnating part of the mind.

In Vedāntic literature, the antahkaraṇa (internal organ) is said to be organised into four parts:

Ahamkāra (ego) — the part that identifies the Atman (the Self) with the body as 'I'),

Buddhi (intellect) — the part that controls decision taking
    Manas (mind) — the part that controls sankalpa (will or resolution)
    Chitta (memory) — the part that deals with remembering and forgetting
Immediately, I saw the parallel to the much simplified BKWSU teaching of "man, buddhi and sanskars" (mind, intellect and sansakars or resolutions).

Ahaṃkāra is said to be related to ego and egoism, and the identification or attachment of one's ego. Ahaṃ meaning the Self and kāra refering to the concept of "any created thing".

"Ego" is a term which Western BKs use quite often. It is commonly used in Hindi Brahma Kumarism?

Which Hindi words are being translated for these terms and when were these concepts introduced into Brahma Kumarism? Could they have just be taken and simplified from traditional sources?

academicyogi

Re: The ahamkara and the antahkarana

Post09 Feb 2012

They call ahamkara or ego as "Deh Abhimaan" which is loosely translated as body consciousness. The actual word abhimaan used in the term deha-abhimaan means abhi (to enter) + manyate (a belief). Thus, the Murlis use two different words to describe good and bad beliefs of self-identity.

When the word Deh-Abhimaan is used it means to enter into a belief that "I am a Body" and thus the resultant thoughts, words and actions will display a state of Maipun, which is the Hindi usage for Ego in Murlis. Similarly, the word Atmaa-Abhimaan means to enter into belief that "I am a Soul" and thus the resultant thoughts, words and actions will display a state of being Nir-Ahankari, which is the Hindi usage for Egoless in Murlis and in general in all Indian religious texts. But the Murlis never use the word ego or Ahankar (or ahamkara). The BKs in Hind will say, "So and so is suffernig from Deh Abhimaan".

The reason for not using words like Ahankar or Ego may be because the original BK method of dealing with ego is not to spiral into inferiority complex. Hence simply shift from Deh-Abhimaan to Atmaa-Abhimaan and the conflict is easly and internally resolved by its self. Interestingly, the other word for Atmaa-Abhiman is Dehi- Abhimaan. The word dehi means the one who resides in the deh. Obviously this would implicate that it is the soul (dehi) which resides in the body (deh), and you just need to be aware of it every time there is an inflated sense of superiority because of physical or material reasons as these reasons are temporary. It also saves from misery that Deh-Abhimaan occur during depressing times.

The word Ego has had its usage in the gyaan probably after Sister Jayanti accompanied Dadi Janki for UK services and then used more and more in India by Sister Shivani in her conversations with Kanupriya in the T.V. show Awakening with Brahma Kumaris. Though these translations were simple to understand, they are just oversimplification which was never needed. Instead the concept that if you are an individual it is natural to have a sense of identity, and thus there are two perceptions of identities, and only one will allow you grow beyond all conflicts and so make the right choice - this actually is more true to the teachings of Murli. But it seems the new-age BK preachers seem to care less about the Murlis and express more of what they think. You can see this in the number of times Sister Shireen Chada uses "i think" in the T.V. show Release Your Wings aired in US and is also available on YouTube.

The word Deh-Abhimaan or even its closest translation body consciousness is a better word as it focuses on the root of disease, while the word ego siply looks at the symptoms.

academicyogi

Post09 Feb 2012

They call ahamkara or ego as "Deh Abhimaan" which is loosely translated as body consciousness. The actual word abhimaan used in the term deha-abhimaan means abhi (to enter) + manyate (a belief). Thus, the Murlis use two different words to describe good and bad beliefs of self-identity.

When the word Deh-Abhimaan is used it means to enter into a belief that "I am a Body" and thus the resultant thoughts, words and actions will display a state of Maipun, which is the Hindi usage for Ego in Murlis. Similarly, the word Atmaa-Abhimaan means to enter into belief that "I am a Soul" and thus the resultant thoughts, words and actions will display a state of being Nir-Ahankari, which is the Hindi usage for Egoless in Murlis and in general in all Indian religious texts. But the Murlis never use the word ego or Ahankar (or ahamkara). The BKs in Hind will say, "So and so is suffernig from Deh Abhimaan".

The reason for not using words like Ahankar or Ego may be because the original BK method of dealing with ego is not to spiral into inferiority complex. Hence simply shift from Deh-Abhimaan to Atmaa-Abhimaan and the conflict is easily and internally resolved by its self. Interestingly, the other word for Atmaa-Abhiman is Dehi- Abhimaan. The word dehi means the one who resides in the deh. Obviously this would implicate that it is the soul (dehi) which resides in the body (deh), and you just need to be aware of it every time there is an inflated sense of superiority because of physical or material reasons as these reasons are temporary. It also saves from misery that Deh-Abhimaan occur during depressing times.

The word Ego has had its usage in the gyaan probably after Sister Jayanti accompanied Dadi Janki for UK services and then used more and more in India by Sister Shivani in her conversations with Kanupriya in the T.V. show Awakening with Brahma Kumaris. Though these translations were simple to understand, they are just oversimplification which was never needed. Instead the concept that if you are an individual it is natural to have a sense of identity, and thus there are two perceptions of identities, and only one will allow you grow beyond all conflicts and so make the right choice - this actually is more true to the teachings of Murli. But it seems the new-age BK preachers seem to care less about the Murlis and express more of what they think. You can see this in the number of times Sister Shireen Chada uses "i think" in the T.V. show Release Your Wings aired in US and is also available on YouTube.

The word Deh-Abhimaan or even its closest translation body consciousness is a better word as it focuses on the root of disease, while the word ego siply looks at the symptoms.[/quote]

academicyogi

Post09 Feb 2012

Which Hindi words are being translated for these terms and when were these concepts introduced into Brahma Kumarism? Could they have just be taken and simplified from traditional sources?"

The reason for not using words like Ahankar or Ego may be because the original BK method of dealing with ego is not to spiral into inferiority complex. Hence simply shift from Deh-Abhimaan to Atmaa-Abhimaan and the conflict is easily and internally resolved by its self. Interestingly, the other word for Atmaa-Abhiman is Dehi- Abhimaan. The word dehi means the one who resides in the deh. Obviously this would implicate that it is the soul (dehi) which resides in the body (deh), and you just need to be aware of it every time there is an inflated sense of superiority because of physical or material reasons as these reasons are temporary. It also saves from misery that Deh-Abhimaan occur during depressing times.

The word Deh-Abhimaan or even its closest translation body consciousness is a better word as it focuses on the root of disease, while the word ego simply looks at the symptoms.

Return to Commonroom