Ambition within the BKWSU and the "Sindhi Ceiling"

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

ex-l

ex-BK

Ambition within the BKWSU and the "Sindhi Ceiling"

Post23 Nov 2009

starchild wrote:It brought back to my mind a statement that a very "close", i.e. inner circle, Western BK made to me (Nikki from Canada).

She said (in that particularly smug BK way, when they were trying to make a point about another's 'weakness') "... If I did not know why Baba wants me to be pure, I would not be practicing celibacy".
tom wrote:Just leave them behind with all their ambitions and illusions and move on.

This taken from another topic ... you folks mean Nikki with two k's? Currently doing the Follow the Leader stuff at 'Odyssey Leadership Centre'?

She seemed to me to be pretty ambitious. She had a good intellect, a professional background and came from an aristocratic background with some money. How far up the BK tree did she get? ... Did not she hit the "Sindi Ceiling" within the BKWSU?

There is an idiom in the real world called "The Glass Ceiling". It a refers to situations where the advancement of a qualified person within the hierarchy of an organization is stopped at a lower level because of some form of discrimination, most commonly sexism or racism ... for example, women in big corporations the world over, or not being Sindhi in the Brahma Kumari's Kripalani Klan.
Of course, the Kripalani Klan can always turn around and claim it is not a Sindhi issue but a "spiritual" issue ... But, of course, only they are qualified to judge what a high "spiritual stage" is; and only they are able to explain away who such superior spiritual beings as themselves are capable of doing such low and even illegal things that "lesser spiritual" individuals within the BKWSU would never dream about.

Commentators on the BKWSU had stated that individuals such as Mohini Panjabi felt that she hit what I am calling "The Sindi Ceiling" because she was not a Sindhi. Did Nikki hit a similar in London? Was there not some issue about London not being big enough for the two of her and Jayanti?

Yes, it seems fair to say now that the Brahma Kumaris ambitions are based on illusions. How could anyone professionally engaged with corporations and executive, at great expense, NOT apply some of their skills and standards back onto their own religion and hold their religious leaders accountable? Or apply them to the output of their religion? If they did not, would that not sink their integrity or even make them duplicitous?

I still do not see all those Brahma Kumari proselytizing events listed on her CV listed as Brahma Kumaris proselytizing events. Speaking personally, I saw her as one of the first Brahma Kumaris to take on the BKWSU as part of her personal ambitions. She has, of course, since gone on to develop her own personal brand of paid Soul Power books and seminars. There is a copy for sale on Ebay right now for $2.11.

I read the statement made above as being awfully 'superior', e.g. "I know therefore I am specially, you do not" but at the point where it all turns out to have been an illusion, she is going to like just another victim.

Are some BK 'leaders' motivated by misplaced worldly ambition?
    Does the Brahma Kumaris leadership use it, accept it, allow for it ... and does it operate a "glass ceiling"?
    Are men within the organization victims of a "glass ceiling" policy because of their sex?

bkti-pit

Independent, free thinking BK

Re: Ambition within the BKWSU and the "Sindhi Ceiling"

Post24 Nov 2009

I was told by two different persons that Nikki has left the BKs. I do not know how true it is, whether she left with a bang or faded out quietly, nor whether it had anything to do with hitting the glass ceiling or not.

Return to Commonroom