Beggars

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

bansy

Beggars

Post29 Nov 2008

ex-l wrote:the frontlines pulling in new wealthy Westerners

From another thread.

Has anyone ever seen this form of begging, or have done so themselves ?

Whenever there is some "important" visitor, say a Dadi or senior, coming to a center, there is much fuss over how and what program needs to be held. The BKs suddenly scramble to call their local (usually Sindi) sponsors to gather up and help out. Oh turn up at the event to make up numbers. The BKs will do all the work for free, photos will be snapped up, and sponsors and VIPs will be named in the magazines or articles about the event and programmes. And there is very often the request for funding, but the requester (often center-in-charge) often finds it hard to look deep into the eye of the hopeful donor, the smile comes when the money is handed over. I even gave a wry smile once when I saw another BK enthusiastically buying BK stuffs at the side counter at the events whilst in front of folks, it seemed like side street vendors having fellow dummy purchasers wooing the crowd.

I don't understand how such actions go unaware. Everyone has their own interpretation, of course. At times, I do not wish to see, but simply take the good parts given in Murlis.

Return to Commonroom