Difference between Indian and non-Indian interpretations

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

ex-l

ex-BK

Difference between Indian and non-Indian interpretations

Post26 Aug 2007

Joel posted something in another topic that made me think.
The BKWSU has always followed more or less conventional Hindu mourning practices. Ceremonies take meaning by providing time, space and context for personal, emotional experience, for bonding of the group, for mutual support. Such ceremonies fill human needs. Believing in a soul-body dichotomy doesn't necessarily negate their social function.

It is generally Western BKs who react to BKWSU ritual and ceremony by questioning if these rituals are "soul conscious." I think that the Indian "wing" of the BKWSU sees the philosophy as something rhetorical that adds to the BK family culture, while the Western BKs see the philosophy as a kind of knife for dividing, categorizing and analyzing: it provides them a standard of judgment. New, intoxicated and world-weary Western BKs tend to reject nearly every cultural activity as body-conscious, whereas Indians are more accepting of what, after all, is their own culture.

It is amazing to me that an ex-BK would argue about whether BKs are really practicing "soul consciousness." Are you assuming "soul consciousness" to be an absolute, or could it be something that exists in a cultural context, as other religious beliefs?

I wondered if individuals could offer their views on the difference between Indian and non-Indian interpretation of BK life? Appreciating the caution required to handle broad generalizations without defining who actually is a BK and who is a BK follower. Early on it was suggested that Indian BKs were on one hand much less strict, and on the other much more at ease operating in, as Joel says, their own culture.

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post26 Aug 2007

It is like two separate worlds. I'll elaborate more when sober but even the types of class Dadis give is different.

alladin

no label

the lawful and the loveful

Post26 Aug 2007

Did SS ever try to merge these "2 worlds", or did they rather promoted separation?

I always felt a more "mystic" side of being a BK in India and they are somewhat more easygoing as far as attendance to classes, etc. Also they feature a more "loveful", Bhakti attitude towards God and BB. But this may just be a superficial impression and there are innumerable aspects to be examined; above all the importance and influence of the caste system which is possibly not dramatically different from social classes/status in the West.

I always felt that the Yagya's omerta spread over to the aspect of not wanting a real flow of BKs and circulation of ideas and stories. We shouldn't mingle too much, Indians should not get contaminated by us because it's convenient to keep them subservient and Double Foreigner should not hear what's going on in India and tales closer to the source.

The impression I got, and I remember some Western sisters-in-charge close to SS sharing this point with me, is that SS thought that Westerners are overall very "loose" in their culture and customs. More prone to "falling in the vices", so some different type of rigidity was applied in the West (prevention is better than cure, watch out for the alligator!!).

Unfortunately, this was generally not put forward as a "safeguard" but as some strict imposition of alien customs (but we were always told that there's only 1 culture above nations; the BK one!) i.e. Brothers/Sisters sitting at different tables, proper attire - just recently half sleeve t-shirts in summer were tolerated ... !!

We all know that many Westerners left over the years because they could not adjust. And here something comes to mind about Dadi Kumarka. Many years ago, a sort of war took place between the 2 heads, DK and DJ, perceivable through the different points and comments they were making in class and throwing at each other both in London and MB.

Some of you may remember that phase. DK was playing the "good policeman" role, rule through love whereas, obviously, DJ impersonated the law. It seems that DK and the Indian bosses were not at all happy with the epidemic of Western BKs leaving. Especially in Europe ( DJ's zone). And that complaints and discussions had been going on about how to prevent this hemorrhage from happening.

Now, this doesn't constitute an "allegation". It's an impression that created "rumours" but some who were in Gyan at that time may appreciate what I am talking about. In a way, DK and DJ aways stood for different approaches, and each BK had her favourite to go to for advice and protection (blessings).

bkdimok

reforming BK

Post27 Aug 2007

Om Shanti.

From my point of view there is a great difference in Indian and Western lifestyles. I realized it only because of living with people who want to live in accordance with Vedic culture. It's like another planet. So I think that in India, BK is like some kind of sect. There are a lot of sects in India, so BKWSU my be treated as one of them.

But in the Western world, I suppose it is treated as one of New Age movement rather than a sect. And Indians can understand the essence of BK's teachings easier (because brahmacharya, devotion, offering food to God, meditation etc are ordinary things there). At the same time, foreign people can easier take the form in which BKWSU exists (UN status, different programs for positive thinking, UNICEF etc). So I think this is why BKWSU has to hide many things etc, operating in the West.

But there is one example of presenting Indian philosophy and culture without hiding anything, as it is. It is ISKCON. They do not hide anything at all. They don't rewrite their history. They don't re-write their scriptures. They are almost BKs. But in the same time they are different.

With regards, Shankar

ex-l

ex-BK

Post27 Aug 2007

BKdimok wrote:But there is one example of presenting Indian philosophy and culture without hiding anything, as it is. It is ISKCON. They do not hide anything at all. They don't rewrite their history. They don't re-write their scriptures. They are almost BKs. But in the same time they are different.

Yes, I have respect for them too. And thanks for the normal post, you had us worried there! I should say, I did mean Indian BK versus Western BK but your comments are valid.

ISKON has had problems but they put in place an external independent ombudsman service to take care of them in the future. That was very enlightened. I think the BKWSU could learn a lot from them. They walk their talk and do a lot of genuine service helping out druggies, alkies, feeding the homeless etc even practical work like farming instead of all this VIP stuff.

Its a bit body-conscious, but if any of the ex-BK boys are lonely, a nice Hare Krishna girl would make a good mate!

Return to Commonroom