Why do people adopt BK life?

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

arvind.giri

BK

Why do people adopt BK life?

Post02 Feb 2020

There are two reasons people adopt BK life - they either need a crutch for dealing with the rest of life, i.e otherwise they’d really fall over, or it is a vehicle for moving forward. I think those who used it as a ”moving forward” vehicle inevitably leave it behind sooner or later because they realise that, as a vehicle, it's more like an elevator than a bicycle, it only moves along one dimension to defined destinations, it can become claustrophobic, and you are totally dependent on it. Some can even be said to get stuck between floors!!

With due respect, I disagree with this statement as this hasn't been case with me. Could be partially true but I think we cannot generalize it to all who are following BKism.

ex-l

ex-BK

Re: Why do people adopt BK life?

Post03 Feb 2020

How long have you been a BK, why did you join, and why do you remain?

Are you not concerned about the failures in the predictions, or the revisions in The Knowledge to suit the times?

arvind.giri

BK

Post04 Feb 2020

Hi Ex-I,

The answer to first set of questions is that I liked 'Gyan' (BK knowledge) very much.

Answer to second set of questions is that I am fully convinced with 'core' points of Gyan like:
    1) Why should we be in high self-respect ('swamaan') all the time. (Little bit attention is required to ensure that self-respect doesn't get converted to ego)
    2) Advantage of BK way of meditation over other techniques. (At least it suits me better)
    3) Effectiveness of point of drama/world cycle to stop waste and negative thoughts
    4) Simplicity in BK way of empowering souls
    And many other points ...
I am so much impressed with 'core' points of knowledge that 'peripheral' points like 'failed predictions' or 'changing knowledge to suit times' doesn't bother me.

Having said that I also understand that what are 'core' points for me, maybe "peripheral' for others and vice-versa. It's just a matter of individual perception and either could be more right. (There can be an endless un-concluded discussion on it as both are right).

ex-l

ex-BK

Post04 Feb 2020

Thank you. I cannot say your response helps me to understand human or BK psychology but at least to accept it. Human beings are strangely compartmentalised and the various parts appear to be quite disconnected with others.

When I was a BK, the leaders, the Baba, were all adamant that the Golden Age was going to start in 2036 when Krishna was crowned Narayan. I forget the age at which he was going to be crowned as it has changed numerous times but I remember he was supposed to born in Kali Yuga and mature enough to adulthood but certainly it's reduced from 21 to 18 to now it must be 16 ... unless they have given up the idea of 2036 by now and revised that too.

Destruction was to be in 1986. Of course, before that it was 1976, 1950, WWII. All in the Murlis or Divine Decrees.

It seems to be part of a "successful" BK to believe and not believe at the same time. The believing part being about fitting in socially, being accepted and achieving status. The not believing part being about carrying on as usual, in opposition to the beliefs, eg amassing wealth and building properties that, logically, would be pointless if the world was really going to end in 2 to 3 years time.

I failed as a BK because I was too logical, valued integrity too much and believed it all to be true as it was suppose to be god saying it. Of course, they hid a lot and misled me greatly, manipulating my logical frameworks to an end result that benefited them, not me.

What I don't understand is how an Age of Truth can be created out of so many lies? But, of course, I guess I was not supposed to believe that the Age of Truth (Sat Yug) was really real but rather just a useful device with which to manipulate people with.

That's the difference between being a successful leader within the organisation, and an unsuccessful loser/follower.

arvind.giri

BK

Post10 Feb 2020

It seems to be part of a "successful" BK to believe and not believe at the same time. The believing part being about fitting in socially, being accepted and achieving status. The not believing part being about carrying on as usual, in opposition to the beliefs, eg amassing wealth and building properties that, logically, would be pointless if the world was really going to end in 2 to 3 years time.

Well, my opinion is little different. I feel (may be wrong though) that to be part of a "successful" BK either you have to surrender your intellect 100%, or use your intellect 100%. We get into inner conflict when we mix these two.
The believing part being about fitting in socially, being accepted and achieving status

My advice to anyone who is already in BK or planning to join BK is that never chase any of these ('getting acceptance'/status within BK etc) or your spiritual growth will stop. Being on 'receiving' side of acceptance is OK for initial few months (max 1-2 years) to heal oneself (If healing is required) but once healing is complete better try to shift to 'giver' side as soon as possible (to even those from whom your were receiving acceptance) and stick to your inner consciousness. If you will chase 'giving acceptance' to all, you will always feel that you are progressing on your spiritual journey.
I failed as a BK because I was too logical, valued integrity too much

Well, I understand what you are saying.

But when I deeply checked these two concepts, I realized that being logical and valuing integrity are little subtle then these appear at surface.

We often miss the variable 'outlook' when we validate 'logic'. Two people having same logical mind may take different decisions if they have different outlook of the situation.

Similarly there are some hidden variables (role, outlook) to validate integrity apart from visible parameter like values. In general telling lie for a person whose value is 'speaking truth' should be considered as violation of integrity. But if enemy country catches him and asks for some secret details, then telling truth will be a violation of integrity. So if we feel that someone is telling lie, it either means that he is violating integrity or we don't understand his outlook. May be his role demands it.

[Will be busy for next 1-2 weeks. Please expect delays in reply]

Arun1968

Post27 Jan 2023

donkey.jpg

DON'T ARGUE WITH DONKEYS
The donkey said to the tiger:
- "The grass is blue".
The tiger replied:
- "No, the grass is green."
The discussion heated up, and the two decided to submit him to arbitration, and for this they went before the lion, the King of the Jungle.
Already before reaching the forest clearing, where the lion was sitting on his throne, the donkey began to shout:
- "His Highness, is it true that the grass is blue?".
The lion replied:
- "True, the grass is blue."
The donkey hurried and continued:
- "The tiger disagrees with me and contradicts and annoys me, please punish him."
The king then declared:
- "The tiger will be punished with 5 years of silence."
The donkey jumped cheerfully and went on his way, content and repeating:
- "The Grass Is Blue"...
The tiger accepted his punishment, but before he asked the lion:
- "Your Majesty, why have you punished me?, after all, the grass is green."
The lion replied:
- "In fact, the grass is green."
The tiger asked:
- "So why are you punishing me?".
The lion replied:
- "That has nothing to do with the question of whether the grass is blue or green.

The punishment is because it is not possible for a brave and intelligent creature like you to waste time arguing with a donkey, and on top of that come and bother me with that question."

The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who does not care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on arguments that don't make sense ...

There are people who, no matter how much evidence and evidence we present to them, are not in the capacity to understand, and others are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and all they want is to be right even if they are not.

When ignorance screams, intelligence is silent. Your peace and quiet are worth more.

Return to Commonroom